Munich - Home of the MIPLC
With a population of 1.3 million, Munich is the third-largest city in Germany and an important cultural and economic center. Munich is known as Europe's "Intellectual Property Capital" because it is the home of the European Patent Office, the German Patent and Trademark Office, the German Federal Patent Court, a large number of intellectual property law firms, and a variety of companies in industries heavily dependent upon intellectual property, including Siemens or BMW, as well as many media and biotech companies. All of these aspects make it a perfect location for the MIPLC.
Learn more about Life in Munich.
Directions to the MIPLC
The MIPLC is located in the heart of Munich and easily accessible by public transportation:
- subway lines U 3/ 4/ 5/ 6, stop "Odeonsplatz",
- suburban trains (all S lines), stop "Marienplatz",
- tram line 19, stop "Nationaltheater" or "Kammerspiele".
As neither station is located directly in front of the MIPLC, visitors will have to walk from the station.
From Odeonsplatz station
- Take the exit "Hofgartenstraße".
- Take the gravel foot path which passes through the "Hofgarten" park, with the former Royal Residence on your right.
- At the end of this foot path, descend the steps – the glass-fronted building across the street and slightly to your right is the Max Planck Institute for Intellectual Property.
- Cross the street and walk to the right along the Max Planck Institute. At the end of the building, turn left and descend a few steps, to find yourself in a yard.
- At the far end of the yard, you see a café called "Eisbach". Beyond "Eisbach" pass the car barrier and cross the street which is "Marstallstrasse". The building to the right of the trees is no. 8 (a shop called "Blachnik" is on the ground floor).
- Enter the building, take the elevator to the second floor. Stepping out, the reception is on your right-hand side (please knock or use the phone).
From Nationaltheater or Kammerspiele
- Stepping off the tram, you are on Maximilianstrasse, a big road. Find the "Kempinski Vier Jahreszeiten" hotel.
- Marstallstrasse is the street branching off the main road on the left of the hotel.
- Walk down Marstallstrasse to no. 8.
- Enter the building, take the elevator to the second floor. The reception is on your right as you exit the elevator. Please knock or use the phone next to the door. Welcome!
From Marienplatz station
While it is possible to walk to the MIPLC from Marienplatz, we recommend that you catch subway lines 3 or 6 to Odeonsplatz and walk from there. This is especially true if you are unfamiliar with Munich. The old town can be quite confusing.
From the Munich Central or East train stations
Munich Central Station (Hauptbahnhof) is located west of the city center; Munich East (Ostbahnhof) east.
From either station, catch subway U 4 or 5 to Odeonsplatz, or tram 19 to Nationaltheater or Kammerspiele, then proceed as described above.
From the airport
A taxi from the airport to the MIPLC will cost about 70 EUR.
The airport bus leaves every 20 minutes and drops passengers off at Nordfriedhof and Hauptbahnhof (central station) subway stations. The easiest option is to get off at Nordfriedhof and catch subway line U6 from there to Odeonsplatz (c. 10 minutes). You will have to purchase a separate ticket for the subway. Arriving at Odeonsplatz, follow the walking directions indicated above.
Alternatively, catch the S-Bahn (suburban train) lines S1 or S8, both of which run at regular intervals. Alight at Marienplatz and change to subway line U3 or 6 (your S-Bahn ticket is also valid on the subway). Get off the subway at Odeonsplatz and follow the walking directions indicated above.