The MIPLC operates under a compact governance structure comprising three boards to ensure proper management, scientific advice, and feedback from the international scientific and practice community. These boards are, respectively, the Project Board, the Scientific Advisory Board, and the Board of Trustees.
The Project Board is the governing body of the Munich Intellectual Property Law Center. It formulates general policy for and manages the affairs of the MIPLC. The Project Board is composed of four members, representing the four institutions operating the MIPLC: The Max Planck Society, the University of Augsburg, the Technical University of Munich (TUM), and The George Washington University.
The Project Board meets on a monthly basis. It is composed of:
Scientific Advisory Board
The MIPLC Scientific Advisory Board advises the Project Board on the scientific research program, and especially on the development of the LL.M. program, as well as on financial issues. It is composed of one representative each of the Max Planck Society, the University of Augsburg, the Technical University of Munich (TUM), and The George Washington University as well as of five external members who demonstrate recognized expertise in the research areas of the MIPLC.
The current partner representatives on the Board are:
- Professor Martin J. Adelman, The George Washington University Law School;
- Professor Reto M. Hilty, Max Planck Institute for Innovation and Competition;
- Professor Thomas M.J. Möllers, University of Augsburg; and
- Professor Philipp Maume, Technical University of Munich.
The external members of the Board are:
- Professor Valeria Falce, European University of Rome, Italy;
- Professor Inge Graef, Tilburg University, Netherlands;
- Professor Manuel Desantes, University of Alicante, Spain;
- Professor Timo Minssen, University of Copenhagen, Denmark; and
- Professor Anna Tischner, Jagiellonian University, Poland.
The Scientific Advisory Board, chaired by Professor Manuel Desantes, gathers every year in the fall for an in-person meeting in Munich.