3a. Scholarship Opportunities
We understand that many of our admitted applicants are unable to pay the tuition fees, and to secure sufficient bank loans. The MIPLC can offer financial assistance to a limited degree only, and competition is fierce. We therefore encourage everyone interested in financial assistance to explore a variety of funding options. Quite often, there are scholarship opportunities that wait to be discovered, which means that you have to look for them. In particular, we recommend the following:
- Talk to your employer. Sending you to the MIPLC is an investment in your skills and therefore in your employer's interest, as they will benefit from your new knowledge and your contacts after your return;
- Check the programs offered by the DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service);
- Find out whether your government offers any funding for students going abroad;
- Multinational or German companies operating in your country might support you;
- Contact organizations such as Rotary, which usually have funds to sponsor outgoing students;
- Turkish applicants may wish to apply for the Jean Monnet Scholarship Program;
- Applicants from the U.S. may apply or a scholarship at the Fulbright Commission;
- Mexican applicants may be eligible for loans granted by the Fondo para el Desarrollo des Recursos Humanos (FIDERH);
This list is not exhaustive; therefore, it pays to "shop around" in your home country and search the internet as well.
The following information covers financial assistance for which you apply directly at the MIPLC.
Tuition and Participation Fee Waiver Scholarships
For students of its LL.M. program, who demonstrate both need and merit, the MIPLC or external sponsors (industry, law firms, IP organizations etc.) provide a small number of fee waiver scholarships. The application for such a waiver proceeds via our online application system. For detailed information, please refer to the corresponding section of the Application Instructions. The application deadline is April 30 and the decisions are usually taken in June.
DAAD Scholarship for Students from Developing Countries
Students from developing countries (according to the DAC list of the OECD) may apply for the DAAD scholarship for "Development-Related Postgraduate Courses" if they fulfill the DAAD's criteria.
If you are interested in any other kind of scholarship or funding provided by the DAAD outside of this particular program, please apply to the DAAD directly.